Pages

Sunday 19 October 2014

Song of Blades and Heroes

I finally gave in and bought Song of Blades and Heroes. I was a bit sceptical the first times I heard about it, as it's so streamlined and uses just two stats. Coming from a GW background where you have a ton of stats, combat means rolling a bucket of dice etc I wasn't really ready. Until now. I wanted to try more lightweight rules which would give me freedom to use any models I want and this was it.

I bought the pdf version and printed it on A3 paper, folded it into a book, trimmed the edges and bound it with two staples.

I was really suprised after reading this, instead of being a 'dumb' game, Song of Blades and Heroes seems really tactical and fun. Activation instead of IGOUGO, a dice-off using just one die (to which the combat attribute and modifiers are added) per combattant for combat and simple rules for routing.

We had a test game with my brother that went really well. Using just 300 points each I went with an 'undead' themed force, while he went with a generic 'human'. Eventhough the game uses only 2 stats per model the special rules where all that was needed to give each force its flavor. This isn't an in-depth review, so if you'd like to learn more just check out the reviews on boardgamegeek instead. But really, its a fun game, easy to learn, quick to play and will only set you back $8, try it out! 

2 comments:

  1. Yup, that game will give you a lot of enjoyment. There are plenty of supplements too, if you ever get bored. Plus, because it's a very simple ruleset, it's also really easy to make modifications for.

    Here's a random deadly magical item table I brewed up: http://mdarrow.blogspot.com/2014/02/arcane-and-deadly-objects.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, thanks. I'll have to try it out in my next game. Random tables are always fun :)

    ReplyDelete